Saturday, August 15, 2009

Around Trafalgar Square at Night


I finished teaching the two classes in London. Its Friday night and I had to get out just for a bit. My hotel - Club Quarters - is 1/2 block from Trafalgar Square which is in the center of London. It is close to just about everything any visitor wishes to see in the city. I decided to venture out and take some evening photos. Tomorrow I'll walk as far as I can to see as much as I can in one day, then pick up on Sunday and finish the tour, hop on a train and head out west to Bristol.

Here are some early evening photos of Trafalgar Square and area



















After taking this picture of the bus, I began walking down the sidewalk back to my hotel. The bus door opened and the driver yelled at me 'Did you take my picture?" He had a smile on his face. I said 'Excuse me?", and again he asked 'did you take my picture?" I didn't quite know what to say. I honestly didn't even notice him when I took the picture. I was interested in taking a photo of "Crouch End" but how to tell him that? I smiled and kept walking to my hotel.















It would take me some time to get used to the Underground in London. It is the oldest subway system in the world which means it has had time to grow and grow. When I first saw the map for the Underground or "Tube" as Londoners call it, I was overwhelmed. But I only need to use the "Circle Line" which makes it easy for me. It is however rather expensive $10 round trip for me from my hotel to the office in London. If I were to stay here longer I would purchase what is called an "Oyser Card" that provides a discount. But since I was here for only 5 days, I paid the daily rate. And I walked most of the time if I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment